Sunday, December 14, 2008

Log Cabin



This time of year makes me long for cashmere throws and soft silk pillows near my couch or bedside. Honestly, I love having lush snuggle worthy blankets and believe that its purse non-sense not to own at least one. Enter my future Log Cab Quilt.

This holiday I will be in Texas for one month [oh goodness!] and plan to construct a Log Cabin. Just recently, my Grandmother passed down her collection of quilts to me. This gesture left me completely joyful and motivated to start my own library of stitch art. It didn't take me long to decide upon what type of quilt I would create. I vividly remember the few Log Cabins she made and innately want to follow in the tradition. Also, the history of Log Cabin quilts is reminiscent of times when making the most of what you had, even with scraps of fabric, was indeed making the best.

xo

Photos above are examples of 2 Log Cabin quilts. 2nd photo depicts a Log Cahin quilt dated [roughly between] 1865-1885. Its roots are attributed to Frances (Charles) Waring or Jeannette (Waring) DeGruyter. Possibly made out of Kentucky Wool. Size is 33” x 30” and resides as apart of the Collection of the DeGruyter/Hillery Family.

No comments: